(so easy. so useless a question).
somewhere in Manzini and Mbabane the sun rises. without you. kuthwe us’Ezwilini.
birds continue to chirp in Nairobi’s arboretum. this morning the construction workers cat-called me. maybe my face hasn’t registered grief. who cares that i am in mourning?
(but who am i to mourn you?)
- did the stars hide in mourning last night?
- did your neighbor’s dog stop barking?
- did the rooster not crow this morning?
- did the tellers at Shoprite close/ this morning?
- shall your being be respected on the day they bury you?
lovers kiss each other in the dark. forbidden. mouths that never uttered your name.
malume; you who suffered from— and died of— death.
ufike kanjani? ngubani ixesha khona?
i will stop by you, to hold you
catch my breath if i can’t stop time.